"Only what speaks for itself
can also make a name for itself. "
(Quote from AW v. Hofmann)
August Wilhelm von Hofmann (1818 - 1892) was the founding president of the first German chemical society and is the namesake of the GDCh Foundation.
We owe the foundation capital to a GDCh member who died in 2010 and who bequeathed a considerable part of his assets to the GDCh for a specific purpose. He determined that his fortune should be used to support chemistry students after his death. The August Wilhelm von Hofmann Foundation awards grants to chemistry students in their bachelor's, diploma or exam courses in chemistry and related subjects.
How do I apply for a scholarship?
- First read through the information on the advertisement and then apply via the Online application portal.
- Add the required attachments (proof of academic achievements, curriculum vitae, letter of motivation, high school diploma).
- Enter the e-mail address of the professor who will write a letter of recommendation for you. It is advisable to coordinate this with the person in question beforehand. Your application is only complete with a letter of recommendation. You will receive an email once your letter of recommendation has been uploaded.
Application deadline including letter of recommendation is February 1, 2023.
- The GDCh local association chairpersons in your region and the JCF regional spokespersons will evaluate the applications received from the respective local association in the Online portal by February 17, 2023 at the latest. You then forward two applications to the GDCh Office .
- You will be informed as soon as the Board of Trustees has made a selection.
The conditions in detail:
- The August-Wilhelm-von-Hofmann-Foundation supports students of chemistry and related fields (approx. 55% (100 of 180 ECP) chemical modules) and student teachers in chemistry in semesters four to six of their bachelor’s, diploma or Exam studies with an amount of 300 euros per month. The duration of the scholarship is 18 or 12 months, in total 5,400 euros or 3,600 euros. The scholarship will not be extended.
- Students can apply in the third or fourth semester of their bachelor, diploma or exam studies. The grant is paid from April through September of the following year.
- You must send your applications to the chair of the local branch responsible for your region or to the regional Young Chemists Forum. Fill out the Online application form and add your letter of motivation, your curriculum vitae, the university certificate of your academic achievements. A university teacher must then upload the letter of recommendation.
- Only two applications from a local section can be forwarded to the Board of Trustees. If more than two applications are submitted, the chairman of the local association makes a pre-selection together with the spokesman for the regional young chemists' forum.
- The Board of Trustees accepts the proposals and decides in March who will receive a grant. The beneficiaries will be notified immediately afterwards. Payouts begin at the end of April.
- A total of around 20 scholarships will be awarded.
- Talent, academic performance and the applicant's economic situation are selection criteria for the Board of Trustees. Its decisions are not contestable. The respective GDCh President, the GDCh Treasurer and the GDCh Executive Director sit on the Board of Trustees. The GDCh Board appoints four further members. The JungChemikerForum has the right to propose one of these four members.
Important! The scholarship does not count towards BAföG benefits, but double funding through other performance-based material funding from gifted organizations is excluded.
Former scholarship holders tell us what the scholarship brings:
- Domenic G., Siegen, wrote to us:
"Thanks to the support I gained, I was able to concentrate solely on my studies and still maintain, expand and network my voluntary work. In many ways, your support has helped me to improve my performance in my studies, be it through The learning time gained, because working on the side was no longer necessary, or be it through the opportunity to enrich yourself with, among other things, specialist literature. There is so much more, but in the end I would like to and will thank you very much for your support in the past time Be grateful to you in the future too. "
- Oliver W., Nuremberg-Erlangen, wrote to us:
"This week my support through the Hofmann scholarship of the GDCh ends. I would like to use this time to thank you for the support over the past year I was able to concentrate fully on my exams on the first food chemistry state examination. In addition, I owe your support, among other things, to the fact that I was able to realize my wish to write the scientific thesis externally at the Leibnitz University of Hannover cannot bear the additional costs that go with it. Thank you again for that! "
- Marco W., Münster, wrote to us:
"At the end of the funding period, I would like to thank you very much
thank you for the support provided by the Hofmann scholarship. The scholarship
has enabled me to concentrate fully on my studies since
I was able to give up my sideline. This enabled me to have my good ones
Maintain achievements and lay a financial foundation for mine
Create a planned semester abroad in the USA. "
- Tamara H., Ulm, was one of the first scholarship holders and wrote to us:
?... at the end of the funding period, I wanted to thank you and the entire foundation once again for the funding during my bachelor's degree. This opened up a lot of opportunities for me, like an internship at the University of Glasgow this summer, which would hardly have been possible without this support! From this semester I will continue my studies at the University of Ulm in the master?s course in chemistry. "
- Sandy H., Regensburg, wrote to us:
"With your support, I was able to concentrate primarily on my studies and acquire the literature I need to prepare for the exams. Furthermore, I was not tied to work during the lecture-free period and was therefore able to complete a four-week internship in analytical chemistry. This enabled me to get to know a working group that fascinates me. Thanks to extremely friendly colleagues and the ideal working atmosphere, I was able to gain a foothold here. In my thesis, I finally examined the synthesis and (bio) analytical application of nanoparticles and finally decided to specialize in the analytical field as part of my master's degree. In summary, the August Wilhelm von Hofmann scholarship helped me to find my way and to go. "
Board of Trustees
dr Karsten Danielmeier, GDCh President 2022&2023 (chair)
Prof. Dr. Annette Gabriele Beck-Sickinger, University of Leipzig
Josef Braun, JCF Munich
dr Timo Fleßner, Bayer Leverkusen
Prof. Dr. Wolfram Koch, GDCh Executive Director
dr Christian Hubertus Küchenthal, Berthold Technologies
dr Kerstin Schierle-Arndt, BASF SE Ludwigshafen
Die Ausschreibung für die Stipendienvergabe 2024/2025 beginnt im Oktober 2023.
der 1. Februar: Studierende haben ihre Anträge über das Online-Portal eingereicht. Das Empfehlungsschreiben wurde hochgeladen.
Für OVV-Vorsitzende und JCF-Regionalsprecher
jeweils der 17. Februar: OVV/JCF haben zwei ausgewählte Anträge an die GDCh weitergeleitet.
Dr. Jasmin Herr
Varrentrappstr. 40 - 42
60486 Frankfurt aM
Tel. +49 69 7917-323
Fax +49 69 7917-1323