foreign countries

From Germany to another country or vice versa

If you want to go abroad or if you come (back) to Germany from abroad, you will find helpful addresses and links here.

German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)

Many students or doctoral candidates would like to leave their home university for a limited time. You will soon be clear about the country. But at which university? And where does the money come from to finance the stay abroad? The DAAD offers an extensive information portal here. Under ?Information for Germans? there are tips on planning your stay, on scholarships and on the recognition of achievements abroad at your home university. Country-specific information gives an overview of which programs are available to get there for (almost) every country in the world.

Foreign academics can also find useful information on doctoral and funding opportunities for a stay in Germany at the DAAD. And for German academics living abroad, the DAAD offers return grants and practical information and tips to make it easier to return. Most of the DAAD funding programs support doctoral students, but the scholarship database also shows various programs for students, postdocs and university lecturers. Information on the Erasmus + program, the successor to the European Commission's Erasmus program, can also be found here.

German Research Foundation (DFG)

The DFG supports young scientists with its diverse programs in every phase of their young scientific career, regardless of their level of qualification. Whether during your studies, during or after your doctorate - the DFG offers the right funding opportunities: from working in DFG-funded projects during your studies to research grants and various funding programs. In particular, the DFG promotes the recruitment of young talent from Germany and abroad for Germany as a science location. The DFG supports projects in all scientific disciplines between researchers in Germany and their colleagues from home or abroad. GERiT - German Research Institutions in cooperation with the DAAD and the HRK covers more than 25,000 institutes at German universities and non-university research institutions according to geographical, technical and structural criteria. Gepris is the database in which all current and completed projects funded by the DFG are available for research.

University compass

It doesn't always have to be complicated to get abroad. Often the own university offers cooperation abroad. Here it is worth looking for collaborations on the university's own website. With the university compass you can quickly find all German and foreign universities. Those interested in a doctorate can find an overview of doctoral opportunities in Germany in the "Doctorate" section. In the search mask you can select according to different criteria or search for doctorates at a specific university.

International university cooperation

Around 300 German universities have partnerships with universities and other institutions abroad. All existing collaborations between a German and a foreign university can be searched here.

German Scholars Organization (GSO)

The offer of the German Scholars Organization eV is primarily aimed at German academics living abroad who would like to continue their academic Career in Germany. It is an independent association that supports German scientists abroad and promotes their return to Germany. The GSO offers free advice for this. The GSO advises, among other things, on the creation of a CV or through a personal preparatory meeting. In addition to its own funding programs, it also provides information about those of other organizations that financially support returnees when they return home.

Alexander von Humboldt Foundation

With the research fellowships from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, you can either make the leap abroad or back to Germany. With its scholarships and foundation prizes, the foundation supports the implementation of self-selected research projects with a: r host: in, one of over 26,000 former Humboldtians worldwide, both abroad and in Germany. It does not matter which career level you have already reached. Whether you are just at the beginning of your academic Career or already belong to the ranks of established academics, the funding opportunities of the Humboldt Foundation offer everyone the optimal option that suits their own career level and situation.

Euraxess Germany

A lot of questions and organizational matters need to be clarified for a stay abroad. In order not to sink completely into the chaos of the flood of information, Euraxess Germany provides information and advice to researchers who come to Germany for a research project or who are going abroad. A wide range of information can be found on the website, including on the topics of funding opportunities, social security and tax issues as well as topics relating to the mobility of researchers. Depending on whether you are going abroad, coming to Germany from abroad or returning after a long stay abroad, you will find all the relevant information and a funding database in the respective category.

Studied in France

The Information and Documentation Center for Studying in France (CIDU) in Berlin has compiled extensive information on studying in France. If you want to study there, you will find detailed information on studying, social security issues, recognition of academic achievements and much more.

In cooperation between the Franco-German University (DFH) and the Association Bernard Gregory (ABG), a Franco-German service center was established. The aim of this cooperation is to promote the relationships and mobility of young researchers between France and Germany. The service point is primarily aimed at doctoral students who want to be mobile in the German-Francophone area. It supports interested parties with offers related to career entry and careers and helps them find their way around the job market in both countries.

Database for assessing foreign degrees

More and more students are spending part of their studies abroad or completing their studies there and then looking for a career in Germany. Young university graduates from other countries also come to us to complete further studies or a doctoral thesis. This means that more and more foreign degrees are coming onto the market in Germany and the question arises as to which German degrees a university degree obtained abroad is comparable to. Anabin has saved university degrees from various countries. Interested parties can read there how many years of study a degree normally covers, which German degree is comparable to it and which positions help with the recognition of foreign degree programs.

Recognition in Germany

This portal also provides information on whether and how a qualification obtained abroad is recognized and bundles information on the legal basis and the recognition procedure in the individual professions. The portal is based on the ?Law for the Improvement of the Determination and Recognition of Professional Qualifications Acquired Abroad?, which came into force on April 1st, 2012. This law is intended to facilitate the recognition of foreign professional qualifications and to promote the integration of qualified migrants and foreign skilled workers into the German labor market. The portal is aimed both at migrants who already live in Germany and have acquired a professional qualification abroad, as well as at skilled workers abroad who are interested in working in Germany. It is operated by the Federal Institute for Vocational Training on behalf of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research

This page has been machine translated. If you have any feedback or comments please feel free to contact us.

last modified: 20.10.2021 10:55 H from Webmaster