Website of the Society of Water Chemistry
- "Water is H 2 O, two parts hydrogen, one part oxygen. But then there is a third component that turns it into water, and nobody knows what it is." (DH Lawrence, 1885-1930)
- Water is the elixir of life - all life processes take place in water.
- Water makes the earth habitable and cannot be replaced by anything.
- Water operates the global climate machine, water is the universal solvent and means of transport.
- The quality of the water determines our life.
- Water is considered to be the most important raw material of the 21st century.
- Protection, treatment, quality assurance, use and management of water are central tasks of global importance.
What is water chemistry today?
- describes and examines the substances occurring in the water
- deals with all areas of the water cycle and thus takes into account the atmosphere and the soil
- processes the use and treatment of the various raw water for use as drinking, industrial, bathing, mineral and medicinal water
- deals with the properties of water, its constituents and the transformations that take place in the water or are caused by the water, as well as the material balance of the water
- deals with the treatment of used water before it is returned to the natural cycle
- endeavors to clarify the reactions occurring in the various measures as well as to test, standardize and further develop analytical methods
- deals with reactions and effects that are causally related to the origin and nature of the different types of water
Prof. Dr. Torsten Claus Schmidt (Chair)
Instrumental analytical chemistry
Tel .: +49 (0) 201 183-6774
Claudia Gehrke (Secretariat)
Society of Water Chemistry
IWW Center for Water
45476 Mülheim an der Ruhr
Tel .: +49 208 40303 311