Homepage of the Water Chemistry Society
- "Water is H2O, hydrogen two parts, oxygen one, but there is also a third thing, that makes it water and nobody knows what it is." (D.H. Lawrence, 1885-1930)
- Water is the elixier of life – living processes take place in the water.
- Water makes the world habitable and is irreplaceable by anything else.
- Water moves the Global climate machine, water is the universal solvent and means of conveyance.
- The quality of water determines our life.
- Water is considered as most important commodity of the 21st century.
- Shelter, preparation, quality protection, usage and water management are the key challenges of global, ecological, health, economical and social significance.
What is water chemistry in present times?
Water chemistry today is about:
- all sections of the water cycle in consideration of atmosphere and soil;
- the utilization and treatment of different raw waters to be used as drinking, industrial, bath, mineral, and curative water;
- the characteristics of water, its constituents and the different transformations in water or caused by water and the balance of waters;
- the treatment of process water before return in the natural water circle;
- the control, standardization, and development of analytical methods;
- the reactions and effects caused by different water types.
Prof. Dr. Torsten Claus Schmidt (Chair)
University of Duisburg-Essen
Instrumental Analytical Chemistry
Tel.: +49 (0)201 183-6774
Claudia Gehrke (Secretariat)
Water Chemistry Society
IWW Center for Water
45476 Mülheim an der Ruhr
Tel.: +49 (0)208 40303 311